Post Office Workers Strike
A three-month strike at the SA Post Office (Sapo) is continuing, the Communication Workers' Union said on Thursday.
"Workers are still on strike. So far the Post Office has not come to the table. We are open to sit down and settle the strike," spokesman Matankana Mothapo said.
He appealed to workers to behave responsibly following violence during the strike.
A post office van was pelted with stones in Braamfontein on May 16, and there was a report that a post office building had been set alight in Soweto.
The union was demanding that Sapo employs, on a permanent basis, workers sourced from labour brokers. Many of these had worked at Sapo for many years without getting due recognition and benefits.
Sapo said negotiations were continuing between the affected parties and it would issue a statement later on Thursday. In a statement on May 18, Sapo apologised to its customers for the interrupted service.
"We are making every effort to resolve this matter and get things back to normal. In the meantime, we have provided interim relief and are also looking at a long-term solution."
It said security had been beefed up to ensure the safety of customers and non-striking employees.